A government has no money of its own. Everything it spends is taken from its citizens in taxes.
The City of Cape Town’s tax receipts on property rates have grown
exponentially since the Democratic Alliance came to power in March 2006. 86% of the City budget is drawn directly out of the pockets of the residents of Cape Town. The remaining 14% comes from the national budget of which we are one of two Provinces that contributes more than it receives back.
In 2004/5, when the ANC was in power, the city budget was barely R1 Billion.
Between 2006/7 and 2008/9 the DA city council quadrupled (see below) the amount of taxes it collected from the people of Cape Town (for example: All property tax rates, add on electricity and water charges, refuse collection and solid waste tariffs, traffic fines, parking fees etc.) This massive expansion of government and exponential rise in taxes has come at a time when residents of the city are reeling from the greatest economic decline since the 1930′s .
City of Cape Town Capital Budget 2004 – 2009
Budget if Taxes Raised at RSA Inflation Rate
2004/5: R1 Billion (ANC)
2005/6: R1.5 Billion (ANC) R 1,046,250,000
2006/7: R 2 Billion (DA) R 1,121,250,000
2007/8: R 3 Billion (DA) R 1,250,000,000
2008/9: R6 billion*(DA) R 1,338,750,000
*This last rise was largely financed by a HUGE RISE in property taxes at a time of falling property values and a recession that continues on today.
Source: City of Cape Town Budget 2009/2010 – 2011/2012.
Budget Speech by Alderman Ian Neilson, Executive Deputy Mayor and Mayoral Committee Member: Finance)